R is for… Race Car Driver!
In this world of Fast and Furious movies and Ricky Bobby quotes, perhaps the coolest job some can imagine is Race Car Driver.
So what does it take to become a race car driver? Aside from, obviously, wanting to go fast?
First, you’re going to need to know how to drive. Sure, you may have passed your driver’s license test and know how to parallel park in a tight spot, but we’re talking about professional driving. Take classes to learn how the pros do it. Look for “high performance driving” and racing courses or instructors near you.
Secondly, you’ll need money. Racing cars doesn’t come cheap – especially if you wreck them. Being independently wealthy helps, but if you’re not already rich, you’ll need to round up some corporate sponsors to keep the cash flowing.
Third, you’ll need racing experience. Enter races, and keep improving your skills as a driver. Winning always helps.
If you can’t make it into the world of racing, there’s also the wonderful world of Hollywood to consider. Why not become a stunt driver? Or an automotive journalist?
- 10 Ways to Become a Pro Racing Driver (Car Throttle, 2015)
- The Definitive ‘Fast & Furious’ Movie Rankings (The Ringer, 10 April 2017)
- The Six Most Important Things You’ll Learn at Racing School (Jalopnik, 21 May 2013)
- World’s Greatest Car Chase Scene: Shot in Montreal (Coolopolis, 22 November 2011)
- Every Fast and Furious film ever made
- Heart Like A Wheel (1983)
- The Great Race (1965)
- Le Mans (1971)
- The Italian Job (2003)
- Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Other Radical Jobs That Start With R
- Railroad Engineer
- Realtor/Real Estate Agent
- Recording Artist
- Recreational Therapist
- Research Assistant
- Rock Star
Want to learn about even more cool jobs?
Pre-order the book, World’s Coolest Jobs, a collection of all the coolest jobs you never knew existed. On sale September 1, 2017.